Are you ready to replace or cover your current roof? Call Eustis Roofing in Tavares, FL, today at (352) 343-4240 for a free quote.
At Eustis Roofing, we want to help you find the best roofing solution for your home, whether that means performing repairs, layering with new material, or replacing the system entirely.
You might be curious about whether you can put a metal roof over shingles. Read on to learn everything you need to know about metal roofing over shingles, including how the components of shingle roofs might affect the outcome.
Can You Install Metal Roofing Over Shingles?
In simple scenarios, yes, you can place metal panels atop your existing asphalt shingles as a lower-budget roof replacement solution.
While the asphalt shingle roof may be the most popular system across American homes, many homeowners are shifting toward more durable and weather-resistant materials like metal for optimal longevity.
To install a metal roof on top of your existing shingles, you must meet the following conditions:
- Your asphalt roof should be at the end of its lifespan.
- The shingles should be relatively flat without major lifts, cracks, bumps, or blisters.
- Your roof shouldn’t have any water damage or leaks.
- The roof deck should be intact.
If you meet the above criteria, we recommend selecting a roofing contractor with metal installation knowledge. At Eustis Roofing, we have years of experience installing metal roofs over asphalt systems.
Metal Roof Advantages
Can you put a metal roof over shingles? Yes, but why do homeowners want metal roofs? Metal roofs offer the following advantages:
- Longevity: Metal roofs can last as long as 40 to 50 years.
- Durability: The strong waterproof material can withstand hail, hurricane-force winds, constant rain, summer heat, and long winters.
- Minimal maintenance: Many roofing systems require monthly and annual maintenance, but you don’t need to worry about this with most metal roofs.
- Energy efficiency: Metal roofs have heat-reflecting coatings that can lower your cooling costs in the summer.
Metal roofs offer several advantages including longevity, durability, minimal maintenance, and energy efficiency. For example, metal roofs like Decra’s Villa Tile provide strong waterproof material that can withstand harsh weather conditions while also offering aesthetic appeal.
Factors To Consider Before Installing Your Metal Roof
Before placing metal atop your shingles, you should consider the potential future complications:
- Zone restrictions: Certain homeowners’ associations or building zones may restrict you from installing metal roofs over shingles
- Structural problems: The added weight of having two roofs on your home can cause long-term structural problems, like sagging or buckling.
- Leaks: If a leak occurs underneath the metal roof, your repair team will have difficulty accessing the problem and resolving it.
- Corrosion: If your installer does not place anything between the shingles and metal, the granules on the shingles can cause corrosion beneath the metal sheets.
- Roofing underlayment damage: Your roofing systems involve complex structural components that may wear down over time. If you don’t replace them now, they may not last throughout the metal roofs’ 40 to 50-year lifespan.
Need Help Selecting the Best Roofing Option for Your Home?
Can you put a metal roof over shingles? Yes, or you can replace your entire system. Contact Eustis Roofing in Tavares, FL, at (352) 343-4240 for a free estimate from our team, or read on to learn more about the advantages of a metal roof.